Sometimes on life’s journey, we may be uncertain where we’re heading. Or be carrying the weight of where we’ve been. Sometimes we just need a companion to walk with us along the way and witness our journey. It is my passion and privilege to be able and willing to walk the road with others in the pursuit of a better, healthier future. For the past 20 years, I have developed skills and experiences that allow me to accompany you on life’s journey. I have a caring, compassionate and non-judgmental approach to counselling and believe that everyone has the strength within themselves to heal.
I believe the most important factor contributing to success in counselling is the relationship you have with your therapist. For me, this involves:
- Striving to create an environment that is relaxing and welcoming, so you feel safe and comfortable exploring your needs and concerns
- Placing a great deal of importance on developing a strong connection with you. This way, we can work together as a team to help you set goals and achieve your greatest potential
- Having a positive outlook on life and believing that you already possess strengths, abilities, and the capacity for healing
- Being friendly, knowledgeable, and caring, with a good sense of humour
- Being genuinely curious about you and open to what you want to explore
I have extensive experience working with individuals, couples, families, and groups. I have worked with youth and adult offenders, middle school and university students, couples and families, and military veterans. Areas of counselling in which I enjoy working include:
- Anxiety (e.g., generalized anxiety, panic attacks, social anxiety)
- Relationship difficulties
- Family concerns
- Trauma / PTSD
- Grief and loss / bereavement
- Developmental concerns
- Life transitions
- Stress management
I use an integrative approach to my work with clients and draw from a variety of approaches. I am particularly influenced by three theoretical models. Family Systems approaches allow me to view your struggles in the broader context of your life, including your relationships with other family members. Solution-Focused Therapy provides a lens that examines your strengths and what is currently working well in your life. Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) provides practical and empirically-supported strategies to better cope with life’s challenges.
I am currently completing my doctorate in Counselling Psychology through the University of Calgary. I hold a Master’s degree (Ed.M.) in Human Development and Psychology (specialization: Risk and Prevention: Adolescence) from Harvard University, and a Master’s (M.A.) in Counselling Psychology from the University of British Columbia. I have been a Registered Clinical Counsellor through the British Columbia Association of Clinical Counsellors since 2008 (member #: 3159).
We all need someone we can talk to. I look forward to starting the journey with you.
To contact Paulo and set up an appointment, please phone the Brookswood Counselling Offices at 778-278-3411 or email at email@example.com.